The Q&A Archives: Pineapple Plants

Question: My wife grows Pineapples in the house, and she would like to know if she can force one to produce a pineapple.<br>We heard that if you poke holes in an apple, put it on the soil then put a dark plastic garbage bag over it for a week, that it would work.

Answer: It's possible for your pineapple plant to produce a little pineapple - but all of the heat and humidity requirements must be met. The ethylene gas emitted from an apple will help some fruits ripen quicker, but I don't think that it will encouragethe production of a pineapple. I'd refrain from putting an injured fruit on the soil and covering it with a plastic bag; you'll introduce your pineapple plant to some bacterial rot, and the lack of light might make your plant sulk. Just exercise some patience. If the plant is capable of producing fruit, it will do so on its own.