The Q&A Archives: Lugustrum trees

Question: I have two lugustrum trees that are about 7ft tall and i have been noticing that the leaves are not maturing, they get to a point and stop growing i known for a fact it is getting enough water and fertilizer what do you think is the problem. where everybody else tree has brand new leaves normal size,mine is getting new leave but very very small

Answer: Vivian,

Very strange. This is usually due to a lack of nitrogen and perhaps something restricting the roots. Sometimes a planting hole ends up being dug with slick sides that restrict roots and work like an underground flower pot with circling roots. There is not a good way to fix this other than digging down vertically to cut roots and break up the edge of the hole. Occasionally this is due to a minor amount of damage from a weed and feed product or other herbicide. Time is the only solution to this.

I would give it more time and hopefully it will pull out of this. In the meantime dig around the base about 6" deep to see if a root or other object is strangling the trunk.