The Q&A Archives: winter gem boxwood buxus microphylla - hedge size

Question: I purcased several Monrovia wintergem boxwood/buxus microphylla this summer. I'm concerned that I may have planted them too far apart to create a hedge. How far apart should they be planted to create a hedge and about how many years does it take to fill in? The Monrovia tag said that these plants grow 4 to 6 tall, but (obviously) I'm not in California with optimum growing conditions. Thanks.

Answer: Winter Gem grows at a moderate pace, reaching 4-6' tall and wide. To make a screening hedge, plant them on 2-3' centers. They will grow into one another to make a dense screen. Expect them to grow about 6" per year. In about 5 years the branches should be growing into one another to create a dense hedge. Shearing or pruning in the spring will encourage additional branches and stems so give them a haircut at the beginning of the spring season and they should grow even faster for you. Keep them well watered (one deep soaking per week; two if the weather is hot and dry). Best wishes with your new boxwoods!