The Q&A Archives: Planting beds around front door.

Question: I have two now-empty beds on either side of my front door. Both are about 3-4 feet deep and about 10-12 feet long. The one on the left is flat and sits about 1 foot below the windows. The one on the right starts out flat and drops off down a hill. The first window on that side is about 1-2 feet above the ground...the second window is about 3 feet above the ground. I would like to plant some things...but have absolutely no idea what! I do know that I do not want big shrubs. I want very sparse, but not too sparse....plants that don't take a lot of work and that don't grow up to cover my windows. Any suggestions?

Answer: Linda,

I might try a David Viburnum or a Reeves Skimmia. They stay short and fit the width of that ara too. Look them up on the Monrovia web site to see if you like them and if the sun or shade they prefer is what you have in that location.