The Q&A Archives: Black-Eyed Susan Vine

Question: I have planted a black-eyed Susan vine several years ago together with some Bougainvillea. Currently the Susan vine grow so quickly and clings to the Bougainvillea beside, covering up all the Baugainvillea. What can I do here to stop the Susan vine from climbing into other plants? It grows so quick and so aggressively. I appreciate your answer in advance.

Answer: It sounds as though you have a very healthy Black-Eyed Susan vine! Unless you constantly train the vines as they're growing, there's really no way to direct their growth. You'll need to tie the vines to a stake or trellis to keep them from scrambling over neighboring plants. Start in the early spring and check the plants every few days, tying or pinching out the growing tips. Or, if that's too labor intensive for you, how about moving the Black-Eyed Susan vines to a different part of the garden?