The Q&A Archives: why is my shilling holly"s leaves turning brown and stems britle?

Question: my shilling holly has clumps of brown leaves appearing and the stems are very brittle and just break off very easy. i have a service company that sprays for fungi and diseases. they tell me is is called

Answer: Deborah,

It is hard to say what the cause is without having a sample of the plant to look at. It could be a fungal dieback. Another possibility would be that something such as a weed killer has been applied over the roots of the plant.

I suggest that you take a sample from the plant along with a photo of the plant in its growing location (if possible) to your County Extension Office to see if they can help diagnose the problem and recommend an appropriate course of action. Their contact info is:

(407) 836-7570
Monday - Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
2350 E. Michigan Street
Orlando, FL 32806