The Q&A Archives: Better daylily blooms

Question: I have a two-year-old clump of everblooming Stella de Oro daylilies. The first flush of blooms in June is great, but they never rebloom very well for me the rest of the summer. How can I get them to do better? Beverly Scott South Salem, NY

Answer: Stella de Oro does repeat bloom, but not with the same quantity of blooms all summer, says Diana Bristol, co-owner of Bloomingfield's Farm, daylily growers and breeders for more than 25 years in Gaylordsville, Connecticut. Stella de Oro will typically bloom for three weeks in mid-June, then bloom only occasionally until mid-August, when it will bloom again for three weeks, explains Bristol. You may get better midsummer bloom if you water the plant regularly, remove seedheads as soon as they appear and fertilize a little. In any case, it is still the most dependable reblooming daylily we have, rivaled only by Daily Bread, she says. The older and larger the clump, the better it repeat blooms, so don't divide your clumps until absolutely necessary, Bristol advises. To keep daylilies at optimum health, keep them well watered (one inch a week) and amended annually with a shoveful of compost and manure per plant.