The Q&A Archives: california garden

Question: I would like to plant a garden using your offerings. my soil is not nutrient rich nor of good quality. I would like to plant shrubs for security, cover old fences and plant both ground cover and border grass.

Answer: You'll want to get your new plants off to a good start by carefully preparing the soil prior to planting. The easiest way to do this is to spread a 3-4 inch layer of organic matter over each of the planting beds and dig it in to a depth of about 8". This will enrich the soil with nutrients and help it drain quickly. The plants you choose should match the sun or shade exposure each bed receives. For ideas, visit and click on plant search. Then enter the criteria (sun, shade, flower color, etc.) and suitable plants will be extracted from the database. One by one you can pull up a photo and cultural requirements. Make a list of your favorites and visit your local garden center to purchase the plants. Enjoy your new garden!