The Q&A Archives: Purple Queen Bougainvillea Care

Question: My daughters purchased a Purple Queen Bougainvillea plant for me. The nursery staff said it could be brought in for the winter, put back outside for summer - and that it should be

Answer: I think your bougainvillea is reacting to the difference in light, temperature and humidity it experienced outside now that it is indoors. You can cut the plant back by half and then wait for it to adjust to growing inside. You should see some new growth within 2-3 weeks. Provide the brightest light possible while it's inside, but don't expect it to bloom. Water when the top inch of potting soil is dry. Next spring take it back outdoors and feed it (liquid 20-20-20 is a good formulation). It should bloom 5-6 weeks after you've taken it outdoors. Best wishes with your bougainvillea!