The Q&A Archives: Need help identifying autumn flowering vine.

Question: Hi- I have a flowering vine that began blooming about two weeks ago. The vine and leaves look like clematis, but the flowers are tiny clusters of long, white, trumpet-shaped stars with a hint of violet. They smell wonderful, but no one seems to have info on what it is. I actually found the vine in the middle of a hosta plant I got from the garden center of a large home center, and moved it to my trellis to see what would happen.

I do have photos available if you'd be able to assist me in identifying this lovely specimen.

Thanking you in advance,

Martha Linbo-Terhaar

Answer: While I can think of some white flowered fragrant vines, the "hint of violet" is not ringing a bell with the exception of some of the jasmines -- and their blooms are starry, not trumpets. But, here are some possibilities.

I should mention this might be the sweet autumn or fall blooming clematis (Clematis paniculata) since the leaves are clematis-like, although I would describe these flowers as looking starry. You may need to cut and paste the complete url to make it work correctly.

Night jessamine or jasmine (Cestrum nocturnum) has white tublular blooms, extremely fragrant.

Madagascar jasmine (Stephanotis) has trumpet shaped blooms in clusters, but the foliage is more leathery than a clematis.

If your vine is not one of the above, I would suggest you check with a professionally trained nurseryman, your local county extension, or possibly work with a reference librarian to see if you can identify it from a photo. Good luck with your quest!