The Q&A Archives: I have white spots... on some of my psalms... and my grass seems not to look healthy ... can you

Question: My tropical outdoor psalms seem to have white dots on them... and my grass does not look good... It is not a lack of water issue... could you help and could you direct me to who I may call to look at my garden.... in the sarasota/manatee area of florida.... thank you, barbara

Answer: Barbara,

Those spots could be a scale insect, mealybugs or some other pest or may be a disease. It is difficult to say based on that description alone. Your best bet is to take some leaves showing the damage as well as a sample of your grass to your County Extension Office (phone ) and see if they can identify the cause of the damage. They would then be able to recommend an appropriate, labeled insecticide product for you to use. It would also be helpful if you could take a photo of the lawn and palm tree in to the Extension Office to help them in their diagnosis. Here is their contact information:

1303 17th Street West
Palmetto, FL 34221
Hours: M-F, 8:00am - 5:00pm
Phone: (941) 722-4524
Fax: (941) 721-6608