The Q&A Archives: Black walut trees

Question: Will the following perennials do well under the canopies of black walnut trees? They will get enough sun but was wondering if they will survive in close proximity to these trees?

Geranium sanguineum Var. striatum
Chryogonum virginianum
Euphorbia polychroma

Answer: In a brief search I did not find reference to these specific plants, one way or the other, with the possible exception of the hardy geranium (At least one species of which is apparently tolerant of juglone). You might try a plant or two and see how they do, then expand the planting if your experiment is successful. I'm sorry I can't be more specific for you on these. Here are a few lists you may find helpful if you are trying to garden around black walnuts. You may need to cut and paste the complete url into your browser to make it work correctly.

Good luck with your project!