The Q&A Archives: Gold Coast Improved Juniper has lost its yello

Question: We bought a Gold Coast Improved Juniper earlier this summer and it quickly lost its yellow. The shrub is still healthy, but it is the color of a standard Juniper. What can we do to restore the yellow that gave the shub its point of interest?

Answer: Based on your description, I am not certain what has happened to the coloring. This particular named variety is known for holding the gold color all season and on through the winter. The gold is most notable on new growth tips, so if it did not grow much this summer that might account for some of the color loss. Also, this plant requires full sun to grow its best and show full color. If you planted it in a shady or semi shaded spot it may not be getting enough sun. Since this is a new plant, I would suggest you consult with your retailer to see if you can figure out what is happening. Alternatively, you could ask your county extension for advice. They may appreciate photos of the overall plant to see how it is doing. Good luck with your juniper!