The Q&A Archives: orthene damage to roses

Question: My roses look like they have spray damage. I sprayed them with a mixture of orthene and bravo and the new leaves are distorted with a few bushes looking very sick. Is there any way to treat the damage or will I loose them?

Answer: Both Orthene (an insecticide) and Bravo (a fungicide) are registered for use on roses so the damage may have occurred because of over-application or application on a hot sunny day. Although the damage is done, neither should be fatal to your rose bushes. Your plants will drop the damaged leaves and should develop healthy new leaves as the season progresses. To avoid repeating the problem, be sure to read and follow label directions on both products before spraying your roses again.

Best wishes with your garden.