The Q&A Archives: 1920s garden style

Question: We are moving to a tudor style house built in the 1920s and I am excited about starting a new garden. It is located in Wauwatosa, WI, which I believe is zone 5. Could you give me any design ideas or types of plants that were common in 1920s gardens? I am assuming gardens popular during that time were more structured and had arbors, roses, etc. I have tried to research it on the internet and it is very hard to find ideas or photos. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Jennifer Anderson

Answer: I found a website authored by the University of Berkeley which gives the history of their 1920's garden and then provides a plant list (over 2000 plants!). Here's the web address:

Be sure to click on all the links on the page. You can print off the plant list and choose your favorites. If this doesn't give you enough background and ideas, you might try a web search (I use Google) using the term "1920's garden design".

Best wishes with your new landscape!