The Q&A Archives: Dwarf Burning Bush Not Changing Color in Fall

Question: I have 2 dwarf burning bushes - one planted in 9/05 and the other in 6/06. Neither one is turning color this fall - the leaves are still all green. The burning bushes in the area are turning or have turned bright red already. Both of my bushes are under large trees - one under a sugar maple and the other under a pine tree. Can you explain why my burning bushes are not

Answer: The leaves of your burning bushes are cold sensitive and cold weather is what prompts a color change. The fact that your plants are beneath large trees explains why the leaves are not changing colors - they are being sheltered from the elements. They will eventually change, but they may never be on the same schedule as other burning bushes in your neighborhood.

Enjoy your garden!