The Q&A Archives: Identification of plant

Question: I recently purchased a beautiful plant at a local warehouse store. It is about 2 feet and has green shiny leaves similar to a boxwood but it blooms at the end of the stem. Lovely orange star shaped flowers in a cluster. They have about an inch of a

Answer: Without seeing the plant, I'm only offering an educated guess. But, based upon your description of the leaves and the flower clusters at the ends of the stems, it might be Aeschynanthus, commonly called Basket Vine or Basket Plant. If so, they can be difficult to grow. Some years they flower profusely; others they won't flower at all. The key to best flower production is humidity in the summer time and a period of rest in winter with temperatures in the 55-65F range.

Provide your plant with bright but indirect light, water freely in spring through autumn but sparingly in the winter (use tepid water). Mist leaves frequently and keep the plant cool in the winter.

Hope this is your plant!