The Q&A Archives: Flowering Cleveland Pear Tree

Question: I just purchased two Flowering Cleveland Pear trees for my yard. Both my wife and I really like the way they look. I read that the Cleveland Pear is very suseptible to storm damage. Is this something I should be concerned with. I live in PA and the storms are not typically too bad, with the exception of an occasional bad one.

Answer: Ice storms and heavy snow can potentially break branches or split the tree, typically when they are older and beginning to show their age. Ornamental pears in general are somewhat susceptible to storm damage due to their branch structure, but Cleveland does have a stronger structure than some. Be sure to plant it so as to allow ample space between it (when it reaches its full size) and any buildings. Meanwhile, these are very popular,lovely ornamental trees.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"