The Q&A Archives: Salt Conditions

Question: Planting new trees that will tolerate salt conditions currently present in soils and will be exposed to future conditions based on severity of winters.

Answer: I think you will find the following articles helpful, they list trees that are salt spray and/or saline soil tolerant. They also offer some suggestions for reducing the effects of road salt. Note that spray from a road can reach up to 50-60 feet away from the street. If you are dealing with this type of severe winter salt problem you may want to also consider erecting a seasonal barrier such as a burlap fence (or permanent fence) to try to deflect some of the spray/salt and possibly plant on a berm to help drain it away as well. Watering in the spring can also help leach the salt more quickly. Your local county extension may have additional suggestions based on a more detailed understanding of your specific situation. Here are the articles, you may need to cut and paste the complete url into your browser to make it work correctly.

I hope this answers your question.