The Q&A Archives: Fungus on Eureka lemon

Question: I've had this tree less than two months. I was hoping to grow it indoors in a sunny southfacing room. I just discovered mostly on the side facing the window patches of white, fuzzy stuff on the one lemon and along leaf veins and joints. Also leaves are sticky as are floor and pot edge around the little tree. What do you suggest?

Answer: Rather than a fungus, I think your plant has an infestation of mealybugs or cottony scale insects (as evidenced by the sticky substance you've discovered). These sucking insects excrete a sticky substance called honeydew. I'd either painstakingly peel each pest off or use an insecticide marketed for houseplants to kill the pests. You can then wash them and the sticky substance off the plant.

Best wishes with your lemon tree!