The Q&A Archives: Lantana tree & Crepe Myrtle

Question: I have a Lantana tree that abslutely thrived this summer, now it is getting cold. I know it can not stay outside in Iowa, but how do I winter it? Do I just bring it in the house with all my other plants that can't take the cold? I really should live in a warm climate --I like all the plants that have to be brought in. Also my Crepe Myrtle will be ok in the house for the winter too, won't it?

Answer: Both lantana and crape myrtle need winter protection in your growing region. Since they won't survive outdoors, you can try overwintering them indoors. Treat them just as you would any other sun-loving tropical; provide bright light, mist daily to increase humidity and counteract dry indoor air, and water as necessary. Don't fertilize, and don't expect flowering during the winter months. When the weather warms, take them back outdoors and they should make up for lost time.

Best wishes with your plants!