The Q&A Archives: Ever Red Japanese Maple problem

Question: My Ever Red Japanese Maple tree by Monrovia has struggled since I bought it about a year ago. It has never really turned red, and now the leaves have begun to turn brown at the edges and then fall off, beginnin at the top of the tree. I brought it into my screened patio area thinking something was eating it, and the leaves stopped falling off but the remaining ones are still brown on the edges. What do you think is happening?

Answer: Joan,

Sorry for the delayed reply. The symptoms you described on the maple tree are a sign of stress due to heat, lack of moisture or possibly fertilizer burn from overapplication. The brown edges won't go away but the new foliage will develop normally if you can provide moist but not soggy soil conditions. Give it a bright shade with perhaps some dappled sun and in the cooler temps the leaves should develop better color.