The Q&A Archives: Winter Care for Hydrangeas

Question: I purchased several elephant hydrangeas in September. I planted these in the ground and placed beach stones around them. How should I take care of them to keep them healthy?

Answer: I hope you mean 'Elegant' hydrangea! Hydrangea aspera, or 'Elegant' hydrangea is a tender climbing hydrangea, hardy only to zone 7. Your plants will not winter over in your cold winter climate so the best way to keep them alive is to pot them up and winter them over indoors. Treat them as houseplants, providing lots of bright light and keeping them out of drafts until you can take them outdoors next spring. It would be less complicated if you kept them in containers rather than replanting them in the ground. Best wishes with your hydrangeas!