The Q&A Archives: Newly planted palm tree tip discoloration

Question: Five days ago we planted 3 washingtonia palm trees out of 30 gal. pots into our yard. They are about 4-5 ft. tall. The lowest the temp has gotten here was 2 nights ago in the low fifties. I don't know to much about palms and I am worried because the tips of them are now a yellowish color. I don't know if it is the temp, the shock of being transplanted, or some vitamin deficiency in the soil. Am I even close and what should I do? Thanks SO much, Lisa

Answer: I would suspect that your new palm is showing signs of transplant stress. While it isn't very attractive to see yellowing or brown tips on an palm frond, the fronds will eventually die off and healthy new fronds will grow. As long as the growing conditions are good, your palm will thrive and yelowing tips will be a thing of the past. Water your new palm deeply once each week until winter, then, if rainfall is sparse, water when the top inch or two of soil dries out. Once the roots become established, and the weather warms up, you should see new growth from the crown of the plant. Enjoy!