The Q&A Archives: winter storage

Question: I purchased a tree called Confetti Spreading Lantan.I love the way this tree looks however during the winter months can I put burlap around this tree to protect it during the winter months? Any help would be appreciated. Thank You

Answer: Lantana is not winter hardy in New Jersey and there is just no way to protect it outside and have it survive the winter. You can however bring it indoors as a houseplant and keep it in a very sunny location; bring it inside when temperatures are still in the mid 50's. Or, you can bring it indoors a little later in the fall when temperatures are in the mid 40's and let it rest in a cool place (above freezing -- about 45 degrees. If you opt to rest it, keep the soil just barely damp, not bone dry and do not fertilize while it is indoors. Next spring, prune as desired and take it back outside when temperatures are reliably in the 50's at night.