The Q&A Archives: china girl holly

Question: is the berries on the china girl holly poison? i have small grandchildren and wanted to be sure thanks for the info.

Answer: According to the California Poison Hotline web site the holly berries (Ilex) are toxic and will cause illness (vomiting and diarrhea), but they do mention that just one or two berries probably would not hurt you. However, it is always a good idea to teach children not to eat ornamental plants. Many of them are in fact quite toxic. Here is the website if you want to read further. You may need to cut and paste the complete url into your browser to make it work correctly.

I hope this helps.

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Sempervivum Henry Carrevon"