The Q&A Archives: Companion Growing

Question: I plan to container-grow purple blush eggplant - can I successfully plant green peppers in the same container?

Answer: There are two reasons why I probably wouldn't do this. The first is, unless you are using a very, very large container there probably wouldn't be enough room for either plant to really spread its roots and thrive. Without this, you wouldn'tget a good yield. The other is that peppers and eggplant (along with tomatoes and potatoes) tend to share some of the same diseases and you wouldn't want to court disaster in that way either. Consider placing each plant in its own container, such as a half whiskey barrel. It is also a good idea to plant disease resistant varieties of each vegetable.