The Q&A Archives: Flowering Red Currant and Pine Trees

Question: Hello,

We have planted a flowering red currant bush in our garden. Now, I want to buy a conifer to plant near that area as well.

Are all pine trees affected by the disease carried by the red currant, or only the white pines?

Or, should I be safe and purchase another type of conifer to plant in that area.

Again, thank you for the help I've received from the experts at this site.

Mary Quistorff

Answer: Black currants and gooseberries serve as stronger hosts, but Red currant can also play host to white pine blister rust which affects 5-needled pines. You can plant Jeffrey Pine, Lodgepole Pine, Shore Pine, Loblolly Pine, Jack Pine, Scotch Pine, or any number of 2 or 3 needled pines in the vicinity of your red currant without concern about white pine blister rust.

Glad we've been helpful with your previous questions. Hope you'll stop by again!