The Q&A Archives: agapanthus

Question: I have an agapanthus plant and am in a 5 zone. I have pulled it out of the garden and do not know if I should put it in soil and bring inside or just let the roots dry out and replant again in the spring. Last year I put it in a pot and let it sit in the cellar. It turned green when I put it out but it did not flower.

Answer: If you have a storage place and method that works (it sounds like you do) then I would do the same thing again as you did last year. Next summer, make sure you fertilize generously and keep it well watered to try to encourage it to grow vigorously and build enough strength to bloom. You may also want to pot it up early in the spring and try to bring it into growth earlier since you have such a short growing season. Good luck with your agapanthus!