The Q&A Archives: Dura Heat River Birches

Question: We just planted 2 river birch trees and I have some concerns. The trees leaves are yellowing and falling off which I know is normal for this time of year, however;they also have dark spots through them. Could you tell me if this is also characteristic of the turning season or could it be leafminer damage?

Answer: Wish I could diagnose the problem, but it's nearly impossible to do without seeing the leaves. It could be an insect problem or it could be normal. The best course of action is to rake up all of the leaves and dispose of them - just in case the spots are insect or disease damage. Removing the leaves from the garden will stop the problem from repeating itself next year. In the spring, your trees should develop healthy new foliage. Enjoy!