The Q&A Archives: What garden goes right with this house?

Question: What kind of flowers/plants/shrubs/roses go right with a castle or medieval times house. I'm working for the owner, and he's not sure what he wants, but he doesn't want anything tropical (obviously) or anything that grows too tall. I thought about putting some kind of cypress trees. As far as the sod, I'm going with St. Augustine. Any other ideas?

Thank you!

Answer: I think I'd take my cue from the gardens at Hearst Castle. The growing region is similar and the design is formal. Some of the plants used include Majestic Coastal Live Oaks and California Bays, Italian Cypress and Mexican Fan Palms. William Randolph Hearst wanted a garden that displayed a profusion of blooms throughout the year. Plant species that bloom during each of the different seasons were selected for the beds, and colors abound in the gardens throughout the year. Colorful flowers such as bougainvillea, tulips, hyacinths, gladiolus, lilies, dahlias, asters, geraniums, lantana, petunias, pansies, sweet peas, hollyhocks, marigolds and carnations were some of the many varieties grown.

Climbing Peace Roses, Daphne, California Poppy, Delphinium, evergreen Azalea, Star Jasmine, Bougainvillea, Myrtle, Oleander and Fuchsia are included in the garden, as are Lemon Bottlebrush, Cryptomeria, Japanese boxwood, Honeylocust, Pomegranate and Pyracantha.

Hope this gives you some ideas for your project!