The Q&A Archives: Pyracantha

Question: We live in the foothills of Colorado and growing zone 5. Because of the long winters, we are trying to plant evergreen, deer resistant plants. I have looked at two pyracanthas: Kasan and Yukon Belle. Kasan is listed as evergreen but not deer resistant and Yukon Belle as semi-evergreen and deer resistant. I think I would prefer the Kasan but do I need to worry about the deer?

Answer: Kasan is considered deer resistant, but with all plants classified as deer resistant, there is one caveat: hungry deer will eat almost anything so even plants that are generally ignored can become dinner if the deer population is large and there's a lot of competition for food. If you prefer Kasan, go ahead and plant it. It's a lovely pyracantha!