The Q&A Archives: Viburnum titus

Question: I think the Nashville TN area (we are on the south edge of the city, on a hill, north-east exposure) is too cold to grow this species of viburnum;viburnum tinus Robustum (Roundleaf laurustinus). It is rated for zones 7-11 on Monrovia. I love its buds, flowers, berries, and need a shrub for a 60 ft-long hedge, about 4-6 ft wide and 6-10 ft tall. If not, do you have any other ideas that would be as showy and seasonally interesting-- and EVERGREEN for a year round screen. Thanks! Anne

Answer: Roundleaf laurustinus is cold hardy to zone 7 (about zero degrees) so I think it will grow in your Nashville garden. If your garden has cold pockets where temperatures regularly dip below zero, you might want to grow Yew or Holly instead.

Best wishes with your new shrubs!