The Q&A Archives: Good Plants For Beginners

Question: I am starting a vegetable garden for the first time. Can you suggest some varieties that will be easy for a beginner? I am particularly interested in peas, string beans, tomatoes, and cucumbers.

Answer: Welcome aboard! Let me warn you....gardening is addictive. I know it sounds corny (pardon the pun) but, things just taste better when you grow them yourself. It is a good idea to start off with the "easier" varieties from the beginning to build your confidence. In my opinion, the most important thing to look for are tried and true varieties that offer disease resistance. Here are some suggestions: For tomato - 'Husky Gold', 'Burpee's Supersteak Hybrid', and 'Burpee's Better Boy'. For cucumbers - 'Sweet Success', 'Early Pride Hybrid', and 'Bush Champion'. For beans 'Kentucky Wonder' (consider the stringless variety 'Burpee's Tenderpod' also), and finally, peas...try 'Green Arrow' or the snap variety 'Super Snappy'. All of these are available from Burpee. If you don't have a catalog you can obtain one by calling 1-800-888-1447 or by requesting one at their website. Enjoy!