The Q&A Archives: The stalks on my indoor giant bird of paradise are leaning over.

Question: When I brought my giant bird of paradise home all the stalks were pointing straight up. Now they are leaning over and seem to have lost there strength. What is the problem?

Answer: I think there are two things going on here. First, Giant Bird of Paradise is an outdoor plant and appreciates growing in full sunshine. So, I think it is showing some distress from lack of direct sunshine. Also, these plants like moist but not soggy wet soil. So, if you're keeping the soil too wet, the stalks can begin to collapse. (They can react the same way if they're not getting enough water.) Your new plant may be happier outdoors. Why not try taking it outdoors and see if it doesn't perk up?