The Q&A Archives: icee blue yellow-wood

Question: I recently bought 2 icee blue podocarpus grown by monrovia and wanted to ask a few questions;

I am thinking of growing several of these against a 6 foot high block wall in my backyard and was wondering how far apart to plant them and how far to stay from the wall.

Also, how narrow can this be kept trimmed to?

And lastly, can this be used as a lawn tree pruned to take the shape of regular trees with bare trunk and wide canopy?

Thank You

Ken Norgaard

Answer: 'Icee Blue' has a pyramidal growth pattern and the branches are densly spaced. You can prune it to keep it smaller as long as you remember to prune annually. If you wait until it is overgrown and then try to prune it back, you'll end up with some bare spots. Light pruning each spring will allow the plant to replace what you've pruned off; the plant's energy will go into renewal rather than elongation of the branches. Left unpruned, you can expect slow growth 15-25 ft. tall by 15-25 ft. wide. I'd keep the plants 6' from the wall (to accommodate growth) and space them 6-10' apart. You can grow Icee Blue as a specimen lawn tree. Simply remove the lower branches as the plant grows in height. Best wishes with your landscape!