The Q&A Archives: Dwarf Boxwoods

Question: I am interested in very small and slow growing boxwoods to border an herb garden. The space is an interior courtward (walled) that has full sun exposure. I have read about b.m. Kingsville which grows to the size of a baseball in 10 years. What other recommendations would you make. I have found that the 'traditional' boxwoods such as Japanese, American, etc. all grow to large too quickly. HELP!!!

Answer: I would recommend planting a true dwarf boxwood, Korean Boxwood (koreana x sempervirens). You have your choice between:
'Green Gem': a green mound; requires little pruning; slow-growing, deep green foliage throughout winter. Grows 2 by 2'.
'Green Velvet': similar to Green Gem in foliage; rounded, full-bodied, and slow-growing. Grows 4 x 4'.
'Winter Gem': grows 2' high; very hardy for cold weather climates.
'Wintergreen': Grows 3-4' by 3'-4'.