The Q&A Archives: will ivy

Question: I have a lovely potted ivy, growing on a trellis, that will die if I leave it out all winter on the balcony. Should I bring it into the house? Will it grow again in the spring if I leave it out all winter?

Answer: Although Hedera helix is winter hardy in your area if planted in the ground, it will probably die over the winter if left outside in a container because the roots are not as well insulated. If you bring it indoors now, place it in a cool room with very bright but indirect light. Keep the soil slightly damp like a wrung out sponge. Do not fertilize in the winter months. Next spring, gradually acclimate it to being outside again beginning when temperatures are reliably in the 50's. Set it in a shady spot and gradually move it to a sunnier one, or back to the place where it grew so well for you this summer. Resume regular watering and fertilizing as it begins to grow again. Good luck with your ivy.