The Q&A Archives: Schefflera arboricola

Question: I have a Schefflera arboricola. Hwen I got it, there were four plants. One died and I chalked it up to my ability to kill plants. Then, two more started lloking the same. When I asked a friend, he said they needed to be repotted, and fast. I did and still lost the two, but the one has done fine for about 5 months. Now it is starting to take on the same symptoms. I know it isn't being overwatered. The pot has large holes and I do not keep it in a saucer. The symptoms are: brown stalk towards the bottom, whole stems and leaves turning brown and falling off, drooping on top (even though still green). Help me, I can't lose this plant! It is the only plant I have left from my grandma!

Answer: I'm sorry you are having trouble with your schefflera! Based on your description I suspect there is a disease problem here rather than a cultural problem, possibly a fusarium infection. I would suggest you consult with your local county extension and see if they can identify the problem more specifically and based on knowing that, determine how to proceed. If it is something that can be treated, they will have the most up to date information on what to use and how/when to apply it for maximum results.