The Q&A Archives: Splitting Oranges

Question: I noticed that my naval oranges are splitting in the middle and have some type of insects inside of them. Please advice on how to solve the problem. I bought the house six month ago from a family that told me that i will enjoy the orange tree. I have a lot to learn. Thank you

Answer: The insects are a secondary problem, not the cause of the splitting of your oranges. They simply arrived to feed on the split fruit. Splitting fruit is a physiological problem, a result of environmental conditions rather than a disease. It usually happens when the weather has been dry for an extended period, followed by a great deal of rain. Harvest the fruit and discard the affected oranges. Beginning next spring water your tree regularly, all through the spring and summer months, providing a long, deep soaking each time you water. The fruit should be just fine next season.