The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Cherry Tree

Question: I have a baby cherry tree in my back yard I need to transplant. When is the best time to transplant a cherry tree? Do you have any advise regarding the tranplanting process as I have never transplanted a tree before?

Answer: You could move it now, or else very early next spring as soon as the soil can be dug meaning not frozen and not too muddy. When you transplant, water the tree deeply the day before you dig it up. When you dig it, take as much of the root system as you can. Keep in mind the roots should have spread outward and also down compared to when it was first planted. Replant immediately at the same depth as it grew before, no deeper. Water thoroughly to settle any air pockets. Mulch over the root area in a flat layer with organic mulch about three inches thick, do not place it up against the stem. Next spring through fall, water as needed to keep the soil moist as you would for any new plant. Good luck with your transplanting!