The Q&A Archives: Lemon tree care

Question: Although I have had large amounts of fruit on my lemon tree for about 8 weeks, the fruit does not turn yellow or seem to be ripening.

The tree gets plenty of sunshine.(at least 6 to 8 hrs/day)

Is this a common occurance?

Also, How should I prune this tree?
It has grown many branches at the lower part of the trunk.

Answer: Citrus takes a long time to ripen. Your fruit could be ripe 6 to 9 months after the tree bloomed, and once ripe the fruit will still hold on the tree for a long time. You will know when it is ripe by color and taste. You may also find that your tree drops some of the unripe fruit over time, it probably will not carry all of the lemons to maturity.

If the branches are coming from below the graft, or under ground, remove them as soon as they appear right away. If they are smaller branches growing along the trunk you can remove them as desired for appearance. Generally speaking, it is better to stop any unwanted growth early rather than waiting until it has put on some size.