The Q&A Archives: Re-seeding my lawn

Question: I was going to re-seed my lawn and then had to have the main sewer line to the road replaced. Obviously this affected a large part of the front yard. There was already a big area of dirt with no grass under a huge black gum tree. There is also quite a few unwanted weeds and clover in the yard. Should I till the whole yard under and start over ? Also in my back yard the grass is very sparce and I figured I would have to till it under and start over again as well. Because of the delay of the plumbing repairs I was not able to work on it until now (early November). What would you suggest I do and when ?

Answer: I'd rake the area and reseed now. The grass seed will germinate as long as the temperature is above 40F. This will give your lawn a headstart for the winter months. You may need to overseed in the early spring, but you should have a thick, healthy lawn by next summer.