The Q&A Archives: One of my rock roses (purple cystus) appears to be withering away.

Question: One of my rock roses (purple cystus) appears to be withering away. This is a 5 year old stand and has thrived and flowered each year. This one plant is gettting a scorched look from ground to top of stem. This is a large specimen and it is happenning progressively. I have been cutting away the dead branches which has now left me with less then half the shrub. All the other rock roses around it are doing great.
Thank you,

Answer: It's really difficult to diagnose a plant problem without seeing it, but I will offer a possibliltiy - rock rose is susceptible to root rot if the soil doesn't drain well. I'd also check for spidermites. These tiny insects feed on the foliage and cause a withering, stippled appearance. Continue to prune away the affected plant parts (in case of spidermites). Next spring, if the roots are healthy, they will develop healthy new stems and foliage.

Best wishes with your rock roses!