The Q&A Archives: When is a good time to move hydrangea?

Question: My neighbor has a hyfrangea that was pink when she bought it and now it is blue. She wants it to be pink so I told her we have to move it to non-acidic ground. Is this correct and when should I move it?

Answer: You could transplant it now to nonacidic ground, or you could change the pH of the soil where it is currently planted. To do that you would need to add lime, a small amount at a time until you achieve the desired results. A pH above 6.0 to 6.5 should be adequate. Lime is somewhat slow acting, so it might take a year or two to achieve the needed pH change. Your local county extension shoud be able to help you test the pH and determine how much lime you would need to add. Good luck with your hydrangea!