The Q&A Archives: What kind is it?

Question: My father and I had a tree at one of our previous residences which we'd like to purchase again. We believe it might be a maple of some kind, fast growing, with green leaves during the summer. In autumn, it's leaves would change colors from the top down, and about the time the bottom started to change, the leaves at the top would begin to fall, also from the top down. It eventually grew rather large, so it's not a shrub-tree. We are in the Atlanta area. If you can help, we'll be forever grateful!

Answer: What you describe sounds very much like a sweetgum (liquidambar) tree. It has maple like leaves, a pyramidal shape, and the leaves produce amazingly bright colors in the fall; reds, oranges and yellows are all evident before the leaves fall from the tree.