The Q&A Archives: Full sun?

Question: Please recommend a camellia that will take full sun. I would like to plant two in my front yard; at present there is a small (4') red maple growing nearby that will eventually provide its shade, but for now the plants will be exposed to full afternoon sun.

Also, can you recommend a small (8-10') citrus that can take some shade?

On the other hand, I could reverse the locations of the camellias and the citrus, then the camellias would have to be 8-10' at maturity, and the citrus could be larger. If you have any ideas for this alternate plan please let me know.

There is a Monrovia retailer just down the street from my house.

Thanks. Tracy

Answer: Tracy,

Most camellias can take quite a bit of sun if they are kept adequately watered. The citrus that may best fit that size area would be some type of a satsuma orange. Shade however is going to dramatically reduce productivity on citrus. I think I'd suggest putting the citrus in sun and the camellia in bright shade. See Monrovia's online plant search feature and type in camellia to get a listing of varieties from which you can get their size and other characteristics.