The Q&A Archives: Can Spartan Juniper thrive in minimal direct sunlight?

Question: I purchased 2 large Spartan Junipers this past weekend. The person at hte nursery said they did not need full sun. When I arrived home and read your care instructions they said full sun. What do you think? Thanks

Answer: Michael,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

All junipers really prefer good, direct sunlight. In minimal direct they will survive but may be less dense and prone to diseases of the foliage if watered often so as to keep the foliage wet more often. It is difficult to discuss light intensity in words as the real factor is the amount of footcandles that reach the plant over the course of a typical day. If your light levels are pretty good and you really want the look and effect this plant provides you may just want to give them a try and see how they respond. Anything you can do to brighten the shade will help too. Otherwise you might want to choose another plant more tolerant of less light.