The Q&A Archives: Burpee compost bioactivator

Question: I would like to know more about the compost bio-activator of your catalogue.What is it made of? How long would it take to turn grass clippings into compost? I live in zone 10.

Answer: According to the box: BioActivator contains a minimum of 5.6 billion beneficial microorganisms per ounce (200 million CFU per gram) of a special blend of dried Bacillus fermentation products and other microbial extracts including B. subtilis, B. licheniformis, and (extracts of) Aspergillus oryzae, on a special mineral mix of steam-pasteurized wheat bran and kelp. The box does not indicate time to finish but a good compost pile will become useable soil conditioner in as little as 6 weeks. For your information, grass clippings alone do not make for a very good compost pile. They're fine when mixed with other, coarser garden or kitchen wastes. By themselves, they have a tendency to mat down and not decompose well.