The Q&A Archives: Clematis

Question: I love clematis and want to grow one on my deck, in a container. However, the place I would like it to be gets only partial sun. Are there any varieties that are better or more hardy than others for these types of conditions described?

Answer: To get the best bloom from Clematis, the top of the plant needs to receive full sunshine. They prefer their roots to be cool, so mulching the top of the soil over the roots is always recommended. Clematis chrysocoma grows only 6-8 feet and would be most adaptable to container growing. It also requires less sunshine than most. A second choice, Clematis alpina, grows 8-12 feet and will bloom in semi-shady conditions. Give one or both a try and see how they perform for you.